Sunday, October 5, 2014

Conference and Boat trip on Danube

I went to a conference on the Danube. It was a mix of scientists (natural, social and historical) and artists. I like that combination.  In some ways I think the best way to change how we think of ourselves relative to nature will be driven by the arts.  Science has information and deep insight, but unless one is a scientist, it does not inspire reflection and action.  Art seems to do both.  Yesterday, we took a boat ride up the river to Szentendre and back.  On the ride, I listened to James Prosek talk about his work. He is a brilliant scientific illustrator--did a book on trout, a funny book where he makes hybrid animals including some with tools like drills on the grounds that we only save useful animals, other fishing books. More recently he's come out with a book on eels.  I really need to read that book.  He said he originally had 1000 pages of manuscript from his travels to learn about eels, but cut it to 250.  He didn't think people could stand 1000 pages worth, but maybe, he joked, "I can do Eels More or Eels 2."  A fine day, yet again.  Photos below.
Ropes  I've only really sailed on larger ships like used on Lake Superior. It was interesting to be on a low river boat.


Margit Bridge Detail

Me, a little chilly that day, but I'm happy.

Fall color on the way up the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment