Tuesday, September 16, 2014

First weeks in Budapest

Margit Bridge all lit up



I arrived in Budapest, Hungary on Aug 24 with my husband.  We had a fine time, though he's gone home now.  He keeps talking about how nice the people were and how wonderful the food was.  I'll agree to all that. 


I've met my two classes at Corvinus University.  One is on professional writing, though it is primarily aimed at academic writing.  The other is a graduate class on Hydropolitics--the politics of water.  I've been very impressed by the quality of the students in the international relations program.  I was not sure what the English language skill level would be, but it is extremely good.  I've started to get written assignments, as well.  So I think the semester will prove very satisfying to me as a teacher.  My Corvinus host, Dr. Peter Marton, has been so generous with his time and ideas.  It's not possible to thank him enough.

I rented a piano and the men carried it up four flights of stairs as our building elevator has room for perhaps 4 people. I started to learn to play the piano when I was on a Fulbright to Malta in '07/'08.  It's not often one gets to see progress in ones life, but in Malta I could peck out a few things (I could already read music).  Here, I played some Mozart and a Beethoven sonata.  Perfect? no.  But, what a difference.

Part of a Rubber Ducky Event
I have met various people and had a particularly interesting conversation with a past Chief Nautical Engineer for the Danube Commission.  It was the first step in my effort to learn about water management in Hungary and, more generally, in this section of the Danube.  I'll talk about it more later, but I can tell you that I think I know a good engineer when I meet one--a wonderful mix of technical skill, some political savvy, strong capacity to see a big project picture.  There's also, at least in his case, a real love for the ever changing river--it's alive to him.

Night view of Parliament in Fog
Ah, the Danube.  I have a lovely, lovely view of it from my apartment.  I watch the boats, the weather, the people.  It is endlessly interesting to me.  I know what you want to see...some PHOTOS.  They are all from out my window or from the balcony. 


Sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment