Thursday, September 25, 2014

Music and the Zeneakademia

I love classical music and being in Budapest is A) perfect for this purpose and B) overwhelming.  I do believe I could find something every day to attend.   I've been to a recital at the the main music school.  It was of young violinists.  It started with children I'd guess were about 10 and they were surprisingly good.  It ended with young professionals--perhaps they are getting advanced degrees.  It was a joy to see how the young people developed: first some fingering and tone, then the tone improved and the the fingering got more complex, then (around High School age) I saw that they were developing their musicality. By the end, with the professional performances, it was all there, musicality, technical brilliance, individual style.  I loved it.

I went to the main concert hall to listen to Yevgeny Sudbin, a pianist. Frankly, I had never heard of him, but now I will go get his recordings. I knew I was "out of date" on the new leaders in music.  He was astounding to me.  At one point he was playing Chopin, suddenly I felt my late Mother's presence.  If so, angels must enjoy listening to him.

Main concert hall-Zeneakademia
And, I learned how the Hungarians appreciate a performance. Apparently no matter how fabulous the performance, Hungarians do not give standing ovations. They will shout now and then when a piece is over, but they use collective rhythmic clapping to express high approval.  And, lucky for us all, that incessant clapping got us two encores!

The setting for the Sudbin's concert, the Zeneakademia, was very nice, too!  I can hardly wait to go to the Opera House, Erkel Theater and the other music venues.

Detail from the lobby

Looking towards the stage

Lots of glitz!

Ceramic detail

No comments:

Post a Comment